> I agree that this would be a very good thing - to me, the priorities are:
>
> 1) Ease of installation.
> 2) Size of distribution.

Only the first part is important to windows users - they have got used
to huge programs. And if we include a minimal Python interpreter in
lyx/win, the actual download size is actually smaller (than lyx/win +
full python.)

> Of course, it is better to win on both fronts: In 1.5, work could be done
> to implement support for Lout, as an alternative to the LaTeX backend:

I have never heard of lout. Its core may be small but how about other
packages? Those are big and are important to daily latex use. Anyway,
it took me one hour to download and install tetek so I certainly
welcome a smaller alternative.

Bo