> While I agree the problem you describe is annoying, it is not so
> terrible. In particular, it has been present at least since LyX 1.0...

I guess when lyx was not popular, there was no need to send lyx files
around. It is actually a good sign that I can now send lyx files,
instead of exported pdf or latex.

> The ideal situation would be to find a solution that does not require
> a file format change, but I run out of ideas.

Blank and newline is (usually) not significant in latex, is it so in
lyx? If not, adding a blank after dot should fix the problem.

Bo