> This is absolutely not our bug.

I did not say this is lyx' fault. I said that lyx is vulnerable to an
existing mail system caveat, and lyx is likely to be the scapegoat. To
the best interest of lyx, I suggest that lyx do something with it.

You and other developers have all the reasons to say 'this is not our
bug' and ignore this problem. But as a lyx user, I will have to be
careful about the encoding of the lyx attachment and check for doubled
dots for every lyx file I receive. Users who are not aware  of this
problem may give up lyx because of this.

> Send you attachments as application/octet-stream and be done with it.

As far as I can tell, my mutt encodes lyx file with 7 bits by default
and my MS/OE/SMTP does the same. I do hope that I am among the extreme
minority who suffer from this problem.

I will CC this email to lyx-users in case that they are not aware of the risk.

Bo