I thought that it would be very useful to be able to select a piece of text
and view the DVI output for (only) that selection.

I thought that I might be able to implement it simply by adding the following
line to my bind file:
\bind           "F11" "copy" "buffer-new" "paste" "buffer-view" "buffer-close"

However I came across some problems. Does anyone know how I can overcome them?

1. The bind file does not seem to support multiple commands attached to a
single function key. I could use LyX-Server, but is there some way I can make
this less inconvenient?

2. Next, buffer-view fails with the Error
        "Cannot export file

         No information for exporting to"

 I am not sure what this means. Cntl-d works just fine.

The documentation for buffer-view appears to be out-of-date. E.g. it claims
that "buffer-view" is in the File menu, but it has been in the view menu for
as long as I can remember.

3. When I do a buffer-close, I return to the first buffer rather than the
buffer than was open when I did the "buffer-new". IMHO "buffer-new" followed
by "buffer-close" should not change the current buffer.

4. "buffer-close" prompts me whether I want to discard changes, even if I use
"undo" first so that technically no change has been made.

BTW, Reference.lyx does not seem to be available through the help menu. Why is
this? if Reference.lyx does not deserve a whole menu item, perhaps we could
have a new menuitem "Other docs" which includes Reference.lyx as a child
document.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
Masters Student