Andre Poenitz wrote:

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 05:16:37PM +0000, John Levon wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 02:58:00PM +0100, Martin Hinsch wrote:

 "non-standard", meaning that it's not possible (anymore) to drag them,
 make them float or make them vertical.
This is intentionally disabled, somewhere on the net is some description
of why this is a bad idea.

I don't care for 99% of the stuff that's on the net. Why should we
disable stuff people expect?

Stuff expected by who? :-)
I rarely encounter draggable toolbars - and when I do, it is by accident.
You see, I click on stuff all the time (to activate the "tool" or simply
to raise the partially obscured lyx window. I use other apps at the same time.) My mice are kind of sensitive - often enough they slide when clicked. And I usually
move the mouse fast and click before it stops completely.

I don't intend to drag anything in any of these occations, but "draggable"
items tend to be picked up by accident all the time. I would _hate_ that to
happen in lyx - then I'd simply have to disable toolbars.

Firefox trouble me with this occationally, but the worst thing there is the stupid
"minimize toolbar" buttons that gets hit by mistake.  Oops, there goes the
user interface again . . . Bad design - not only the possibility of mistakes, but this is a rarely used function so it have no business consuming space on the screen.
I have nothing against configurable toolbars in lyx - but *please* bury the
functionality in some "setup/configure" menu. Thunderbird has a similiar problem - selecting a bunch of emails is actually tricky these days, as thunderbird often waste my time misinterpreting a drag. :-(

Adapting the UI is not everyday work - it is "setup once, then forget it". So the functionality must not get in the way of everyday operations. And the most frequent operations in lyx is typing, cursor movement, scrolling, and selecting paragraph type. I like the table & math toolbars that go away when they don't apply. (I.e. when editing outside table/math.) This maximize the text area, which is where work is done. Nice toolbars, but
not needed most of the time.

Helge Hafting