Hi, all,

> Both the 1.4.x installer  versions have flaws and it is to be expected
> that the newer release (Uwe) would incorporate more fixes.
> The Angus installer
> is not going to reflect bug improvements without an active
> maintainer and Uwe has stated he doesn't have time to maintain
> both versions.

My exact point is that since two maintainers are both busy, they
should try to work together, and maintain a single official version.
This will be better for them, and for the users.

As of the differences between the two versions,

> Uwe's installer doesn't permit non-administrative installations,

Frankly, windows XP users have got used to install whatever
application with administrate privilege. My friends complain a lot
that they can not do anything with their IT-maintained PCs, and in the
mean time, enjoyed sending emails to the IT guys: hi, please install
lyx for me.

> nor support windows 98, according to its documentation. The official
> installer does, but appears to lack a dedicated maintainer.

> The user base for Win98 which is deprecated, is still larger than Mac
> and Linux combined for client desktops (not servers).

What is making this difference? Uwe seems to be using Angus' lyx.exe.

> A local non-admin install of LyX permits using network resources for
> Miktex and Python with the official version if they are available;
> LyXWinInstaller has a network version to access non-admin resources
> but aborts when installing LyX when I tested it awhile ago.

So, merge the two versions so you only need to test one.

> So your criteria for "official" appears to be ease of use for
> incompetent new users

Please be careful about using incompetent, since your are saying that
I was incompetent to handle the official installer last week.

> rather than supporting a wider scope of
> installation scenarios and/or competent users who already have
> the helper apps installed.

I am not against the idea of "supporting a wider scope of installation
scenarios", Uwe obviously would welcome that as well. He would be
happy if Angus can help him, and let his installer work on win98.

> Some users just use LyX without Latex
> so requiring admin rights to install LyX because one needs to
> have admin rights for required helper apps is a faulty argument.

I do not see a problem here. Try to install SWP as a viewer?
Administrative privilege please. Try acrobat reader, the same thing.

> At the end of the 1.3.7 cycle both installers worked very well,
> but targeted different user bases.

I agree that claim on Uwe's installer.

> So there may be only one official 1.4.x version to
> choose from in the future. Angus/LyX 1.3.7 will still be useful.

Then, make Uwe's the default/official one.

Bo