Jean-Marc Lasgouttes a écrit :
"Abdelrazak" == Abdelrazak Younes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Abdelrazak> Helping the port to Scons is just a side effect. The
Abdelrazak> problem is that config.h is not only used for supposed
Abdelrazak> portability but also to pass some settings that is used
Abdelrazak> somewhere in the source code. For example, could you tell
Abdelrazak> me why every source code should know that lyx will have
Abdelrazak> Aspell?

Can you tell me how it hurt?? We have to check for aspell anyway, and
there is no reason that parsing one more #define should make you loose
sleep...

That's just an example. The development process would be _much_ smoother and quicker if the whole tree didn't have to be rebuilt each time you configure. And from the logical POV I don't think it is right to recompile everything because you want to disable or enable Aspell.

Abdelrazak> I think you will achieve the same portability is you limit
Abdelrazak> the include of config.h to C file in src/support/ only.
Abdelrazak> Every use of config.h defined macro should be transfered
Abdelrazak> there (the majority are there already actually).

So, how do we tell whether asserts are enabled or not?

This is fixed at boost level. Code in BOOST_ASSERT will be executed or not depending on the _BOOST_ policy. You should not have to check for ENABLE_ASSERTION.

How do we know
whether #warnings should be shown (although these should probably be
replaced with plain FIXMES)?

Right, this what I was going to answer.

How do we know whether NLS is enabled?

I don't know about that stuff but I am sure there's a solution. This is internationalization right? Why do you need to know? The translation process is external to LyX, so gettext.[Ch] and message.C should go in src/support/

How do we...?

Yes?

I understand your concern about configure taking too much time on
mingw (if I understand correctly). However, 90% of this time is due to
the gettext of libtool scripts, and we are not in a position of
getting rid of them. Therefore, all optimizations you will be able to
do are micro-optimizations.

If we make support a real library that LyX will link with. Then I wouldn't need to re-compile every time I configure. I don't call that micro-optimization, for my usage, this is a _huge_ usability improvement!

Abdel.

JMarc

PS: Am I better now?