Sven Schreiber schrieb:

Well isn't there a documentation team?

Unfortunately there is no team. At the moment the developers add new docs sections if they implemented a new feature. Therefore the docs aren't consistent in style and not always well verbalized. The last time I cleaned up the docs a bit was in 2004. In the meantime I started to work on a big docs update but haven't the time to do this all alone.

Please have a look at this wiki page I created as base for the docs cleanup/consolidation:

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocumentationDevelopment

The docs you'll find there contains lots of improvements and should be the base for further work on the docs. They are not up to date for LyX 1.4 but this should be done quickly.

The general wiki docs category is

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Documentation

where Christian Ridderström just uploaded a merged docs file.

Just for the info, under

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Tables
and
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/LyXMathebefehle

are some Wiki-pages I created. Their content should be part of further docs.

Maybe they don't think it's a good idea?
What would be the recommended way of making a concrete
proposal, attach the resulting single lyx file to a message on this list?

One of my docs goals is to be able to print a LyX-book, like the books of the series from Dante, the german TeX-users group. Therefore a single documentation file as printable PDF is a good idea but not a single LyX-file! The reason is in one hand the performance: LyX consumes a lot of system power to handle large files so that some users might have problems when they want to use the documentation online within LyX. On the other hand and this is the real problem: You'll loose the overview to keep the docs up to date. I spent a lot of time to update the docs to tell you that even the current userguide.lyx is too big for a single file. I propose to have a LyX-file for each chapter and a master LyX-file where they are included. If you run the master through pdflatex you'll get a nice all in one PDF as you wanted. The small LyX-files helps you to reduce the compiling time for PDF or DVI if you work on a chapter. That's the way books are written.

I hope I've written to a new docs team member. I would be very happy if yes.

regards Uwe