Alexander> Hi.  I'm newly subscribed to this mailing list and my first
Alexander> question is, how can I unsubscribe from it? Is it just done
Alexander> the trivial way by sending a message with unsubscribe at
Alexander> the subject line?

It seems that the answer is at the end of your message :)

Alexander> Well, on to the important stuff.  I am writing a
Alexander> mathematical thesis and would like to get a nice titlepage
Alexander> as well as beeing able to use all the nice
Alexander> theorem-environments in the ams document style. I would
Alexander> also like to be able to include such things as \mathcal{Z}
Alexander> or \mathcal{R} easily in the math formulae.

For the ams classes with theorems environments, have a look at the
'Book (AMS)' textclass.

Having \mathcal is easy: just use M-c e (emphasize) in your
formula. You see some italics sans serif on screen, but the result
will be correct on paper.

JMarc