Francesc> Dear Lyx users, I am a new user of lyx, with some experience
Francesc> on LaTeX. After installing lyx I tried to print the tutorial
Francesc> and user's guide. When compiling any of these files through
Francesc> lyx, some LaTeX errors appear because of \textgreater (">")
Francesc> and related definitions (\textbackslash, etc.). I tried to
Francesc> figure out if there was any package I was not using where
Francesc> these things are defined, but I could not find
Francesc> any. Eventually I could print by including in the preamble
Francesc> \newcommand{\textgreater}{$>$}. I imagine this is not
Francesc> exactly what I was expected to do.

Hello,

First, could you tell us what version of LaTeX you are using? I
thought that \textgreater would be available on most installation
without particular intervention, but I might have been wrong.

Secondly, could you sent a .tex file generated by LyX where this
problem occurs? It would help determining why it fails.

Francesc> My question is: what is the package where this definitions
Francesc> are? Am I using an old LaTeX and these commands are standard
Francesc> in newer releases? (I checked the LaTeX book and LaTeX
Francesc> Companion and I didn't find any mention to them).

Have a look at usrguide.dvi in LaTeX documentation directory.

Ah! These macros have been added in LaTeX 1995/12/01 version. I thought at
the time that we could use them safely, but if there are a significant
number of older latex versions out there, I may be persuaded to remove
that.

JMarc