Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> If you want to know what `not usable' means, you should try to run
>   latex ltxcheck
> when checks whether yout LaTeX is correctly installed.

I'm not having any problems, but I decided to try this.  Part of the
intro that it displays is this:

> [kevin@localhost kevin]$ latex ltxcheck
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)
> (/usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/ltxcheck.tex
> LaTeX2e <1996/12/01> patch level 1
> Babel <v3.6h> and hyphenation patterns for american, german, loaded.
>
> LaTeX2e installation check file
> ===============================
>
> Before running this file through LaTeX2e you should have installed
> the Standard LaTeX files in their final `system' directories.
> This file should *not* be run in a directory that contains article.cls

Of course I don't know where all the files are so I take a look:

> [kevin@localhost kevin]$ locate ltxcheck
> /usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/ltxcheck.tex
> [kevin@localhost kevin]$ locate article.cls
> /usr/lib/texmf/texmf/tex/latex/base/article.cls

So, ltxcheck.tex IS in the same directory as article.cls.  Now what do
I do?  :)  (LyX works correctly (i.e. I can write documents, save,
preview and print them, etc.), and I don't think I've written a LaTeX
file manually for some time (not since the Red Hat 4.x days).

This is a Red Hat 5.1 system with upgraded bits and pieces.  All of
the LaTeX stuff would have been installed during installation of the
Linux distribution.

Kevin

--
Kevin Chu               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.tripod.com/~super_kevin/