Richard> I am getting the following error in LyX's LaTeX Log for an 18
Richard> page document (with many tables):

Richard> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=263001]
Richard> <template> \hkip \tabcolsep {\hskip 1sp\ignorespaces I4609 E
Richard> LEK,MARTIN & If you really absolutely need more capacity, you
Richard> can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Richard> Is this a LyX problem or a TeX problem?

This probably a LaTeX problem. I am surprised that this happens. Did
you put your tables in table floats (I guess yes, since you say they
are numberered)? Then you could try to put the tables in their own
pages (Layout->Document, Float_options=="p") and see whether it helps.

JMarc