  > One thing that perhaps I have overlooked, but I can not find a
  > simple way of writing a variable with a single or double dot over
  > it.

While writing an equation in math mode, I simply type

        \dot y

to enter a 'y' with a dot over it.  Similarily, you can enter the
other TeX math accents: \hat, \check, \breve, \acute, \ddot, \grave,
\tilde, \bar, and \vec.

I don't think that there's a way to do this from a menu, though.

--
Roger Williams                         finger me for my PGP public key
Coelacanth Engineering Inc    consulting & turnkey product development