Dirk> Hope this helps.

actually,  it didnt work completely.
i put \sloppy at the beginning of a line and it made "system-s"
change to "sys-tems" which is certainly an improvement,
but \sloppy at the beginning of another paragraph had no affect
at all.

i then removed these and put \sloppy in the preamble only,
but it had exactly the same effect. that is - it only changed
the word "systems"

 JMarc> In what language are you typesetting your document? I just
 JMarc> checked and the only hypenation proposed by TeX in english for
 JMarc> `systems' is `sys-tems'. I do not understand how you could get
 JMarc> something as `system-s'.

english. as far as i know. then again it could be american...
where do you check the allowed hyphenations ? i guess one solution
could be to edit that file..

thanks,
susie.