>>From: Rodrigo Esteves de Lima Lopes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: packages
>>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:43:20 -0400
>>
>>Hi everybody
>>
>>I'm running Lyx.1.0.1 within a tetex-latex 0.9.2..
>>
>>I'd like to know how to install some latex packages such as  easy talbe, long
>>table etc and, after this, make them work at lyx.
>>
>>Thank you very much
>>
>>[]s
>>rlopes

Here is a possible procedure (I suppose that the texmf tree is owned by root,
you must be root to do it)
 - if you have not done it already, create a site_latex dir in the texmf tree, eg
mkdir /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/site_latex
 (this will ease upgrades)
 - go to site_latex and make it public
cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/site_latex;chmod 755 .
 - check that the required package is not here, eg
kpsewhich longtable.sty
 - if not, go to the nearest CTAN archive and ask for the package (e.g. foo)
 - download the files (generally two files: foo.ins  for the install
 and foo.dtx for the doc stuff) in ./foo after a
mkdir foo; chmod 755 foo; cd foo
 - latex the two files and make the sty, tex and dvi files public
chmod 444 *.cls *.tex *.sty *.dvi
 - run texhash
 - test from a plain user login, either \documentclass{foo}, \usepackage{foo} or
\input{foo}

In fact you may have a similar procedure for the bst files in the bibtex part
of the texmf ree; I think that you have often bst files coming in with packages
and that it is simpler to add site_latex in the BSTINPUTS path of texmf.cnf
and keep every imported latex-related stuff in one place.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre