Iain

I have used Lyx to write a provisional patent.  I've attached a very brief
example of how you can do it.  You will need lineno.sty, see
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/lineno.html

I don't know how this package will go with two column mode though.

Ben

> Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:31:46 +0200
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Feedback from www.lyx.org
> FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Iain McClatchie ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) entered the
> following feedback message on the LyX home page:
>
> I am writing patents and would like a Patent document type: two
> columns, with every fifth line numbered down the center.  There are
> millions of examples of the format on the IBM patent server page:
> http://patent.womplex.ibm.com
>
> Ideally, in the claims section at the end, I would be able to write
> \"the logic circuit of claim <link>\", where <link> pointed to an
> earlier claim, and when my claims were renumbered due to edits all
> these links would be changed...
>
> I\'m drawing my figures in \"xfig\", and it would be quite useful if
> some similar sort of <link> could be arranged with the drawings to
> eliminate much of the renumbering due to edits there.
>
> I have no LaTex or Lyx expertise, but I am willing to pay for such
> a package so long as it is integrated into the main Lyx distribution.
> I am also quite willing to help debug such a package.
>
> Whom do I contact about such services?  I\'d like someone to tell
> me roughly how big a job this is before I commit money.

Ben Cazzolato

Fluid Dynamics and Acoustics Group
Institute of Sound and Vibration Research
University of Southampton,
Southampton, SO17 1BJ
UK

Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], or
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], or
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], or

Work:   +44 (0)1703 594 967
Fax:    +44 (0)1703 593 190
Mobile: +44 (0)790 163 8826

Web Page : http://www.soton.ac.uk/~bscazz/

#LyX 1.1 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
% Use the line numbering package.
\usepackage{lineno}
% Turn on line numbers
\linenumbers
% Set it to every 5 pages
\modulolinenumbers[5]
% Reset at eqach new page
\setpagewiselinenumbers
\end_preamble
\language default
\inputencoding default
\fontscheme times
\graphics default
\float_placement hbtp
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing single
\papersize a4paper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 1
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\leftmargin 25mm
\topmargin 25mm
\rightmargin 25mm
\bottommargin 25mm
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle plain

\layout Section*

A virtual energy density sensor for active noise control
\layout Standard

This invention relates to a new type of sensor for active noise control
 systems.
 In most conventional active noise control systems microphones are used
 as pressure error sensors.
 These tend to lead to poor global control in heavily damped enclosures,
 but they do tend to produce small, well controlled regions at the sensor.
 As an alternative to minimising pressures at the microphone locations,
 it is possible to control energy density.
 This has been shown to produce a broader zone of local control, but still
 localised to the actual transducers.
\layout Standard

The invention which is the subject of this document has the advantage that
 it it can sense, and therefore control, energy density at any location
 near to the actual transducers.
 The advantage of this approach is that the bulky transducer arrangement
 used to sense energy density is moved away from the desired control location
 (typically a passengers head).
 The way this is achieved is by using a 7-microphone transducer arrangement
 for three-dimensional sound fields (or 3-microphone transducer for one-dimensio
nal sound fields).
 Figure
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{fig:virtual ed sensor}

\end_inset

 shows a typical physical arrangement of the three-dimensional virtual energy
 density sensor.
\layout Standard

\begin_float fig
\layout Standard
\align center

\begin_inset Figure size 100 100
flags 9

\end_inset

\layout Caption

\begin_inset LatexCommand \label{fig:virtual ed sensor}

\end_inset

Transducer locations of the three-dimensional virtual energy density sensor
 for active noise control.
\end_float
\layout Standard

Conventional energy density sensors calculate the energy density at the
 geometric centre of the transducers.
 In this invention, a forward difference approximation is used to estimate
 the energy density at some distance
\begin_inset Formula \( x'=[h_{x},h_{y},h_{z}] \)
\end_inset

 from the geometric centre
\begin_inset Formula \( O=[0,0,0] \)
\end_inset

.
 The acoustic energy density is comprised of the sum of the acoustic potential
 energy and the acoustic kinetic energy and is calculated from the acoustic
 pressure and particle velocity.
\layout Standard

The time-averaged energy density at the point
\begin_inset Formula \( x' \)
\end_inset

 is given by
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula
\begin{equation}
\label{eqn-ED:time-averaged-ED}
\bar{E}_{D}(x')=\frac{1}{4\rho c^{2}}[p^{2}(x')+\rho ^{2}c^{2}v^{2}(x')]
\end{equation}

\end_inset

where
\begin_inset Formula \( \rho  \)
\end_inset

 is the density of the fluid (air),
\begin_inset Formula \( c \)
\end_inset

 is the speed of sound in the fluid (air),
\begin_inset Formula \( p \)
\end_inset

 is the sound pressure and
\begin_inset Formula \( v \)
\end_inset

 is the particle velocity.
 For the system shown in Figure
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{fig:virtual ed sensor}

\end_inset

, the pressure estimate at some location
\begin_inset Formula \( x'=[h_{x},h_{y},h_{z}] \)
\end_inset

 is given by
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula
\begin{equation}
\label{eqn:pressure-3mic}
p_{x}'\approx p_{0}+\Delta p_{x}+\Delta p_{y}+\Delta p_{z}
\end{equation}

\end_inset

where
\begin_inset Formula \( p_{0} \)
\end_inset

 is the pressure at the geometric centre of the sensor and
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula
\begin{eqnarray}
\Delta p_{x} & = & \frac{h_{x}}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{h_{x}-h}{2}p_{x_{1}}-h_{x}p_{0}+\frac{h_{x}+h}{2}p_{x_{2}}\right] \nonumber \\
\Delta p_{y} & = & \frac{h_{y}}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{h_{y}-h}{2}p_{y_{1}}-h_{y}p_{0}+\frac{h_{y}+h}{2}p_{y_{2}}\right] \nonumber \\
\Delta p_{z} & = & \frac{h_{z}}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{h_{z}-h}{2}p_{z_{1}}-h_{z}p_{0}+\frac{h_{z}+h}{2}p_{z_{2}}\right]
\end{eqnarray}

\end_inset

where
\begin_inset Formula \( h \)
\end_inset

 is the spacing between microphone elements.
 The optimum spacing is a function of the wavelength of the sound field.
 In practice the acoustic particle velocity is estimated via the pressure
 gradient between closely space microphones using the following expression
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula
\begin{eqnarray}
v_{x}(x') & \approx  & \frac{1}{j\rho \omega }\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial x}\nonumber \\
v_{y}(x') & \approx  & \frac{1}{j\rho \omega }\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial y}\nonumber \\
v_{z}(x') & \approx  & \frac{1}{j\rho \omega }\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial z}
\end{eqnarray}

\end_inset

\layout Standard

For the seven-microphone sensor arrangement shown in Figure 1, the pressure
 gradient estimate comes from differentiating Equation (
\begin_inset LatexCommand \ref{eqn:pressure-3mic}

\end_inset

), ie
\layout Standard

\begin_inset Formula
\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial x} & \approx  & \frac{1}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{2h_{x}-h}{2}p_{x_{1}}-2h_{x}p_{0}+\frac{2h_{x}+h}{2}p_{x_{2}}\right] \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial y} & \approx  & \frac{1}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{2h_{y}-h}{2}p_{y_{1}}-2h_{y}p_{0}+\frac{2h_{y}+h}{2}p_{y_{2}}\right] \nonumber \\
\frac{\partial p_{x'}}{\partial z} & \approx  & \frac{1}{h^{2}}\left[ \frac{2h_{z}-h}{2}p_{z_{1}}-2h_{z}p_{0}+\frac{2h_{z}+h}{2}p_{z_{2}}\right]
\end{eqnarray}

\end_inset

\layout Standard

It has been shown theoretically that this approach leads to significant
 local control at the desired control location (namely
\begin_inset Formula \( x' \)
\end_inset

) and not at the actual transducer locations as per the conventional energy
 density sensor.
 The desired control location may be fixed, thereby fixing the expressions
 used to derive the energy density estimate, or the desired control location
 may be input as a variable.
 Such a system would encompass a proximity sensor to track the desired control
 location, for example an ultra-sonic sensor following a passengers head.
 This would have the additional advantage that the cost function for the
 controller would always produce local control at the passengers head.
\layout Standard

The hardware of three-dimensional virtual energy density sensor would be
 comprised of seven phase-matched microphones connected to a circuit board
 which would calculate and output the pressure and particle velocity at
 the virtual location in real time.
 The electronics of the circuit board may be either analog or digital.
\layout Section*
\pagebreak_top
Abstract
\layout Standard

A virtual energy density sensor for active noise control applications is
 disclosed.
 The device is a three-axis energy density sensor capable of estimating
 the energy density at a point distant from the physical transducers that
 form the sensor.
 When used in an active noise control system the device overcomes the inconvenie
nce of physical sensor locations resulting in a controlled sound field containin
g no physical sensors.
\the_end