Angus Leeming wrote:

> Ralf> > - And finally, tonight, I reached with the rpm packages for suse (thanks
>again, Peter).
> Ralf> Do they contain shared versions of xforms-0.89 or link statically
> Ralf> against xforms-0.88? I had to replace the SuSE's shared xforms-0.88
> Ralf> libraries with the original xforms-0.89, because lyx-1.1.5 dumps
> Ralf> core badly (somewhere in xforms) for me (SuSE-6.4) when lyx is
> Ralf> dynamically linked against SuSE's xforms-0.88.
>
> Ahhh! But if you compiled the code with xforms-0.89 header files and then try
> to execute a lyx that is dynamically linked against xforms-0.88, then you will
> core dump because the header files are incompatible.

You seem to be right :)

I just rebuilt lyx-1.1.5 once against xforms-0.89 and once against
xforms-0.88.1 as it comes with SuSE-6.4.

Big surprize: Both versions seem to work now.

However, I don't have any explanation for the core dumps I had
experienced (Lyx dumped core right at the startup). I am sure I did
not have mixed libraries and headers, because the core dumps had
caused me to upgrade xforms and I didn't have xforms-0.89 before :)

Now, I am wondering, what might have caused the problems (I upgraded
to XFree4.0 since then, it comes with a new libxpm).

Ralf

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung