No disrespect to Lamport here, but can I suggest instead "A guide to LaTeX" by
Kopka & Daly? It is newer (1999), includes a lot of stuff that is not in
Lamport's (but in one of the "companions"), its price is about the same as
Lamport's, and I find it easy both to read and use as a reference.  I'd say it
is medium sized with great information; and some of my friends who own
Lamport's end up borrowing mine from time to time. I actually looked at several
Latex books before purchasing this one (and also read throught the readers
reviews at amazon), and this was the clear winner for me.  I've been using
Latex for about 9 months (I use Lyx at home, but my departments machines
don't have lyx so I used Latex on xemacs); I wrote my PhD thesis using
Latex (and found it easy to fulfill the formatting requirements), submitted
for publication 4 papers written with Latex (some to journals, which will
remain unnamed, that have very twisted and idiosincratic formatting
requirements), and I used just Kopka & Daly's plus the very helpful answers of
this list; I've also paid some visits to the CTAN archives and comp.text.tex
(as suggested in this list).

Just my 2 euros...

Ramon

--