What thrills me most in the ongoing efforts to make LyX GUI-indpendent is
the prospect of a ncurses-LyX running on the console. I personally would be
excited by that because (a) it would allow me to dump X11 from my laptop and
(b) I generally prefer to use console software. I hope other LyX users feel
the same.

Since I have no C++ skills (and even if I had, not the time to work on a
ncurses frontend), I would like to make an initial offering of $150/150 Euro
for the developer(s) who accomplish the project. I know this is not much; at
the moment, I can't offer more. Yet I hope that other users interested in
ncurses-LyX will join me and increase the sum. Please do contact me!

Florian

P.S.: I have officially registered this offer at the Free Software Bazaar as
follows:

Request: Create an ncurses-based user interface for the LyX document
processor.

The LyX developers are already in the process of making LyX GUI independent
by separating the program kernel and GUI and creating an abstraction layer
for GUI calls. The ncurses port should not fork the LyX codebase, but fully
conform to its GUI-independence design.

While Gnome/GTK and KDE/Qt frontends are planned with high priority or
already in the works, the idea of an ncurses frontend has been brought up by
the core developers, but not yet implemented.

I hope other LyX users interested in an ncurses port will join me and
increase the amount of money offered.

Offer: $150 to author. Offer expires 31-Dec-2002 but may be extended.