On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 09:20:22AM +0200, Jean-Pierre.Chretien wrote:
> Up to my experience, it's OK unless you used bodsymbol
> (there is a warning message :
>
> LaTeX Warning: there is no bold Symbol font on input line 48.
>
> and it fails).
>
> Perhaps this doesn't happen in LyX, this was with a LaTeX file where
> \newcommand{\delbol}{\mbox{\boldmath $\delta$}}
> allowed to have bold greek symbols, \mathbf fails with usual fonts.

It is perhaps cleaner to use the \boldsymbol{} command (from AMS math)
for bold symbols.
When using pslatex, the \boldsymbol{} (or \boldmath) doesn't work as
the Postscript fonts do not have a bold symbol font. You should use instead
the \pmb{} (poor man's bold) command (from AMS math).
You can also redefine the \boldsymbol command by putting
 \renewcommand{\boldsymbol}[1]{\pmb{#1}} in the preamble.

> But I checked that \mathbf works fine with greek symbol when
> pslatex is called, so should pslatex should be recommended to provide
> bold math symbols ?

\mathbf only works with latin letters, and not with greek.