Tommi Rintala wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2000, at 16:25, Herbert Voss wrote:
>
> > delete the caption-style in figure/table-float and write in
> >

> If I have not-so-advanced-users using Lyx, I would like them
> to know as little as possible about LaTeX, because they are
> using LyX. If they start learning LaTeX, why use LyX at all?
>
> Tommi Rintala

There are horses for courses and tools for tasks. If I am writing a
letter or an article or even a screen play I use Lyx as a matter of
course. If I am writing a book I use plain tex (others would use LaTeX.)
Knowledge of other tools does not preclude the utility of Lyx.

The other day I had a power failure and had trouble recovering a letter
I had almost finished in Lyx. the text was there in a #foo.lyx# file but
the template had disappeared. So I exported the unformatted letter as
text. Then I had trouble bringing the text back into a new template
using the \input  ERC command. So I exported the blank letter as LaTeX
and inserted the text version using an \input commmand in the LaTeX
file.

I think an errant $ was my problem all along but that is not the point.
If you know LaTeX and TeX you can use them as needed while still
remaining with Lyx for more normal situations.
--
John Culleton ---------> Please visit http://ccpl.carr.org/~john/