"Jean-Pierre.Chretien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Subject: \renewcommand, \input
> >>From: Andre Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>Date: 12 Nov 2000 16:30:12 +0100
> >>
> >>[sorry, a lyx crashed killed my xserver and my recent threads. thanks
> >>for the input, my own koma letter class is already almost completely
> >>lyxed]
> >>
> >>My document structure is at the moment
> >>
> >>\input{briefkopfAndre}\input{briefMain}
> >>\renewcommand{\Anrede}{Herrn/Frau/Firma}
> >>\input{briefMisc}
> >>
> >>in "red". I have two problems here. Though LaTeX can find all files,
> >>input via LyX dialog boxes doesn't work. Am I forced to use absolute
> >>paths here?
> >>
> >>Second, is it possible to put the \renewcommand in a paragraph style?
> >>The documentation is not very clear at this point.
> >>
> >>A big thanks to everyone who was forced to go through my traffic so
> >>far ;)
> >>
> >>--
> >>Andre Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> from Bonn, Germany
>
> I remember having tried to keep a « default » input file in the teTeX tree
> which was masked by a (modified by user) file of the saem name:
> this worked in plain LaTeX but failed in LyX.
> So I added a condition in the doc class to have different name in the
> teTeX tree and in the user dir, e.g. in teh class
> \IfFileExists{foo.tex}{\input{foo}}{\input{foo_def}}
> foo_def is is the teTeX tree and is used if no locally parametrized version
> is available.
> Does this fit your needs for the first point ?
>
> --
> Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,

I keep extensions to my latex in my own subtree in
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/LaTeXAB/. This subdir is owned by
root.latex, and users who are members of the latex group, can modify
its contents, and the contents consists of "shared" files (one could
implement your fallback and use it like a backup copy). The problem is
not that latex wouldn't find them, nor that there would be a name
conflict. I'm just wondering if lyx is a "drawback" in comparison to
latex in the respect that I have to specify an absolute path if I use
the GUI; whereas I can just specify the basename of the file in latex
("in red"), and it would find it on its own without having
inexperienced users to have to specify the long absolut path if
they've deleted the input icon by chance.

-- Andre