Christopher wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up on psutils. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to
> use them. This is what I have done: I have each "page" saved to a single file.
> Now I need to cat i.e. first and last into one file for printing it as a single
> sheet to be folded and stapled.
>
> I can't get ps merge to do the job-- keeps coming up with errors. And even if I
> did get psmerge to work, would it put the two ps files next to one another or
> underneath one another? I need next-to
>
> Alternatively, could I save the two needed files to one file and use psnup to
> make them one logical page? But in that case I would have to get them saved
> already in the proper positions, (they come out from processing in serial
> order, bottom-to-top) which it doesn't seem gv will do for me-- I would need
> something to rotate each "page" 90deg.
>
> Does any of this make sense?
>
> Obviously I have read and only half understood the man pages for these tools.
> I'm sorry for my obvious ignorence. Its probably really simple and obvious, but
> hey-- what can you expect from a philosophy student?

i dont't know if i understand all well, but if you need
printing in book-style - first and second page with last
and forelast at a5-format on a doublesides a4 page, aou
can use the following script. save it as book4 or any other
filename, make it executable and run it as
book4 filename.ps | lpr

if you dont't have a duplex-unit at your printer save output
in a file and than print odd and even pages.

Herbert

#!/bin/sh
# script for book generation.
# Examples of use:
#
#  man -t <command> | book4 | lpr -P<printer>
#      This will print the man pages in book format and
#      both sides. If you need file out, say:
#  man -t <command> | book4 > out.ps
#  cat name.ps | book4 > name2.ps    #  ps-file to book-format
#  book4 name.ps | lpr               #  same

#PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
#export PATH

PSBOOK=/usr/bin/psbook
PSNUP=/usr/bin/psnup
PSTOPS=/usr/bin/pstops

if test $# -gt 0; then
   for N in $*; do
      $PSBOOK -q $N | $PSNUP -q -2 | $PSTOPS -q "2:0,1U(1w,1h)"
   done
else
   $PSBOOK -q | $PSNUP -q -2 | $PSTOPS -q "2:0,1U(1w,1h)"
fi

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://perce.de/lyx/