Hi.

This is probably a very naive question, but how do I issue a command in LyX?

What I want to do is add some diacritics - the umlaut in this case.  The
documentation says to do an emacs style M-x and then type "command-umlaut"
and similar command-* thingies for other diacritics.

However when I do this, the cursor does indeed go into the echo area where I
can type "command-umlaut" (or whatever), but the result is just to put an
"x" in my text.

What have I missed that is incredibly obvious and if only I'd spent more
time with the documentation I could have worked out for myself?  :)

Peter