I hate to submit this to the developers list, 'cuz it's not really a
bug, so I'll just pass it on to the "lyx-users" list instead, and hope
for some response...

I submit this message with full knowledge that this has been discussed
extensively in the past.  I'm just curious why, with such a major change
to the citation dialog in LyX 1.1.6, nothing was added to take advantage
of natbib?  It seems a simple box to enter an alternate \cite command
would be an easy first step.  Resetting this globally via \renewcommand
is easy enough, but I often want different styles of citations within
the same paper.

The last message I saw discussing this was in the summer of 2000, by
Angus Leeming.  Has there been any progress since?

-EJR