On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:35:25PM +0100, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to pipe a text region to a shell command like wc?
>
> I need to know how many chars a paragraph uses, so I would like to
> mark it and then pipe the text to wc.

>From a non-guru (I expect there's a more glamorous solution out there.. :)..

You _could_ just copy the the text (simply dragging over it does not work),
then change focus to a terminal window. There, type
        wc -w -  <carraige return>
then paste the text in (I use gpm, so a middle mouse button click does the
trick).

Hit the return once (giving yourself a clean return for wc to read), then
ctrl-d.

If there is a variable within lyx which represents copied areas then you
should be able to do this within lyx.

M(aybe)TH?

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from