>>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:00:15 +0100 (MET)
>>From: "Jean-Pierre.Chretien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: Page headings in Book Style
>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>\newcommand{\tocchap}[1]{\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{\protect\numberline
>>{}#1}\markboth{\textsc{#1}}{\textsc{#1}}\thispagestyle{plain}}
>>\newcommand{\chapterstar}[1]{\chapter*{#1}\tocchap{#1}}
>>(in preamble)
>>
>>\chapterstar{My chapter without numbering}
>>(in ERT)
>>
>>is what I use here both to feed the chapter title to the toc and
>>to mark the headings.
>>Works for twosided docs, with fancyplain.
>>Of course you may change \textsc to any formatting command, like
\uppercase,...

I should have added that it is easy to turm ERT in LyX layout:

Style Chapterstar
  Copystyle Chapter
  LatexName             chapterstar
  LabelType             Top_Environment
  LabelString           "Unnumbered chapter"
  LabelFont
    Series              Bold
    Size                LARGE
  EndFont
End

then « chapterstar » appears as an item of the style list, which
writes « Unnumbered chapter » in the Lyx Window, so no ERT is ever needed.

--
Jean-Pierre