Good point about MikTeX - I don't recall making too many direct edits
to MikTeX, so it's probably not necessary to sync.

For LyX: here is a rough outline of the procedure I had in mind. Does
it seem sensible?

1. Install LyX on machine A.

2. [?] Do something out of the ordinary for a LyX installation, e.g.
putting ~/.lyx somewhere other than the default?

3. Back up ~/.lyx to SpiderOak.

4. Install LyX on machine B.

5. [?] Repeat of 2?

6. Sync ~/.lyx with SpiderOak, doing [?] to ensure that settings made
on Machine A are carried over to Machine B rather than overwritten.

Many thanks again for your help.

BL