On 2 December 2014 at 08:56, aparsloe <apars...@clear.net.nz> wrote:

> On 2/12/2014 6:36 p.m., Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Ashok <adharesh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently have Acrobat Pro 11. It's very unwieldy. The first time I
>>> view
>>> a document, it's fine, but then it gets stuck. Even exiting Acrobat
>>> doesn't help. I have to exit Lyx and get back!
>>>
>>>  I like sticking to Evince when forced to use Windows: it's slim,
>> quick, and makes sense for viewing PDF files. It also auto-loads
>> updated files gracefully, unlike Acrobat.
>>
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/Downloads
>>
>> Liviu
>>

>>  Is there a simpler alternative? And how to tell Lyx not to use Acrobat
>>> pro? (I have Acrobat Pro "associated" as the default pdf viewer on my
>>> Windows system; that's how I would like to continue for non-Lyx uses.)
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>
>>>  I'm on Windows 7. Until earlier this year I used Adobe Reader, but over
> the years it has got more and more ponderous and LyX interacts with it
> somewhat clunkily. I've since installed Sumatra. It's much smaller and more
> responsive and I'm pleased with how it interacts with LyX. But for things
> like printing a pdf Adobe Reader has additional options (e.g. printing in
> reverse order) so I keep it on disk.
>
> If you want Adobe Pro to be your default Windows pdf viewer and yet have
> Sumatra (or Evince or whatever) as your LyX pdf viewer, you need to go to
> Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File Formats and under the format PDF
> (pdflatex) go down to the Viewer: slot (where it may show pdfview) and
> choose Custom and in the right-hand slot enter e.g. SumatraPDF, then click
> Apply. Now in the larger window on the left select Paths. Second slot from
> the bottom on the right is PATH prefix. At the end of whatever is already
> there add (e.g.)
>
> ;C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF
>
> (note the semicolon) or whatever the path is to the directory holding the
> .exe file of your chosen LyX pdf viewer. Now click Save.
>
> Andrew

I also left Adobe Reader/Acrobat.  Not only because they have become
bloatware, but also because they have become badware and arrogantware.

Here's the long story:

I had several PDF files which could not be opened inside Adobe Reader
(saying that the PDF files are corrupted -- which is totally incorrect).  I
wrote to Adobe forum asking what to do.  Guess what.  Someone (probably
working for Adobe) replied (and argued) to me that Adobe Reader is
compliant to ISO something, blah blah blah.  So proud, so arrogant!

But you know what.  When I tried to open the same files inside Google
drive's integrated PDF viewer, Microsoft's One Drive integrated viewer,
Win8 native PDF viewer, and A LOT A LOT other PDF readers, NONE of them has
this "corrupted file" problem.

I've got enough of Adobe's attitude.  So I left it.  I'm also using
SumatraPDF which is working fine for me.