> I saw that adding horizontal scroll bars in tables had been discussed at
> some point (http://wiki.lyx.org/GSoC/HorizontalScrollbar), but I was
> wondering about its progress.Moreover,

Horizontal scrolling (though without scrollbars) has been implemented in
forthcoming LyX 2.2. It should mitigate your problems significantly.

> I also looked at Local Layouts, but could not figure out how to manually
> set the size of the columns in the user interface.

This is not possible. All you could do is to adjust the general zooming in
preferences, but this is probably too general.

> Actually, what I would like to do is to set the column width on the user
> interface on the one hand, and to keep on setting it for Latex through the
> standard dialog box on the other, so that even though the display in the UI
> is not exactly what it will be in the output doc (which is in fact already
> the case as of today), the document is easily edited in the UI and
> correctly generated. Do you think this is feasible easily with the current
> Lyx version (I'm using 2.1.2 on Debian)?

I think, unfortunately, it is not possible.

Jürgen