On 22 May 2015, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> Anthony Campbell <ac <at> acampbell.uk> writes:
>

> > I am using lyx 2.1.3 on Freebsd.
> >
> > I want to edit some beamer files but lyx complains that it cannot find
> > beamer.cls, amssymb.sty, hyperref.sty, pqf.sty, xcolor.sty, xxcolor.sty.
> >
> > In fact, all these are on the system. I've tried reconfiguring lyx,
> > deleting HOME/.lyx, and reinstalling lyx, but the problem persists. Is
> > there any way to make lyx find the files?
>
> With this sort of problem, the first step is typically to open a terminal
> and run 'kpsewhich beamer.cls' and verify that the LaTeX search paths are
> correctly configured. (IMHO, this is the most frequent culprit.)
>
> If the paths are okay, the next question is whether LyX sees them during
> configuration. (I'm guessing not.) In ~/.lyx/configure.log, look for the
> line "INFO: +checking for document class beamer" and see if you got a "no"
> response (not found).
>
> If kpsewhich finds beamer.cls but LyX doesn't, make sure that LyX runs under
> an account with read permission on the LaTeX directories.
>
> Paul

Thanks for your reply.

kpsewich shows the paths correctly. Permissions are also OK.

~/.lyx/configure.log  doesn't show that it has looked for ANY document
classes, so I suppose that is the problem. Perhaps this is due to
something wrong with the Freebsd implementation of lyx. It's not a
disaster because I have other machines on which I can compile the beamer
files but I'd like to find what is wrong.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell                        http://www.acampbell.uk