On 07/04/2015 04:09 PM, Benedict Holland wrote:
Right. I deeply question that logic though. The fact that a corrupted save bug was fixed is sort of a game changer from a usability perspective. I mean, if it wasn't well known, well documented, or fixed, I might say that it makes sense but as it stands, releasing code that has a known catastrophic or critical or severe bug that was later fixed seems like it will just cause far more problems in the future, especially on systems that don't take updates.

Yes, but this is not our decision. It's an Ubuntu policy. It makes a lot more sense with libraries, really, but it's part of why I personally don't use Ubuntu LTS.

Note that the problem that triggered the corrupted save bug has been fixed in 2.0.8.1.

I suppose, that said, I don't mind testing lyx on various systems but the 2.0.8 branch is old and is in release for what, at least a year? What additional testing, apart from that, is required? Is there a spec sheet for various usability tests that should be performed or is it just ad-hoc testing and report bugs to the channel?

I'm not the best person to answer this, but I think all that's needed is to try it out pretty quickly. Since other packages haven't been seriously updated on Trusty either (e.g., Qt), one wouldn't expect there to be any issue.

Richard