Ah, thanks for this. Briefly, the problem is that OS X's new "System Integrity Protection (SIP)" feature in El Capitan (OS X 10.11) does not allow one to use admin privileges to write to certain system directories, notably /usr. Currently, however, MacTeX distributions create a symbolic link "texbin" in /usr that points (rather indirectly, via other symlinks) to the TeX binaries of one's preferred distribution and GUI applications like LyX use that link to find the relevant binaries. With SIP in place, however, that symlink can't be written to /usr and stuff breaks.

Fortunately, this (from my perspective) annoyingly paternalistic feature can be turned off: You can reboot into recovery mode (Cmd-r at startup) and select "Security Configuration" from the Utilities menu option. This brings up a box that lets you uncheck an "Enforce System Integrity Protection" option. Upon rebooting, you can once again write to /usr with admin privileges. Somewhat curiously, I reinstalled MacTeX 2015 expecting it to create the symlink in question, but it didn't. So I created it manually (from inside the /usr directory with the terminal command "sudo ln -s /Library/TeX/texbin texbin") and now everything works once again.

I'm planning to leave SIP off for the time being but, if I were to turn it back on, the symlink I created would surely remain in place. So it's not like one has to choose between a working TeX distribution and SIP. Hopefully, Apple will not decide to be *so* paternalistic that they take away the option of turning SIP off, though, ideally I suppose, future versions of GUI apps will be reconfigured so they look at /Library/TeX/texbin instead of /usr/texbin for the TeX binaries.

-chris