I have managed to write a serviceable script that uses LyX server and LFUNs and toggles between languages only with the shortcut Alt + Shift. I am quite pleased with the result, but I have come up with a slight improvement, that can be achieved by tracking the current language used to spell check in LyX. However, all the LFUNs seem to be "one-directional", that is they transfer information from the external application to LyX. Is there a way (for example, a get-language LFUN that I am missing) to echo the current LyX language in the terminal, so that I can use it in a script?

Cheers.