Le 21/09/2015 09:57, Guenter Milde a écrit :
On 2015-09-20, Jack Sankey wrote:

[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

Hello!

Is there any way to change the padding (i.e. the number of pixels) on the
sides of equations?

The reason I ask is when I'm trying to select part of an equation I often
need single-pixel mouse precision to avoid grabbing everything. Adding a
pixel or two of buffer on the edge would be pretty helpful. This is also
true for things like "the stuff inside a square root" though adding pixels
there might make things ugly..

I agree that selecting stuff in a formula can be quite tricky.
However, there is one important reason speaking against more padding:

If you press the space bar inside mathed, this has the effect of an
"escape"¹ but it does *not* insert whitespace. This is easily overlooked
already with the current display, adding a padding makes it even harder
to detect if the formula is followed by whitespace or directly by text.

(There are use-cases for both: "$x$-axis" or a formula followed by
punctuation as well as formulas in the middle of a sentence requiring
whitespace around.)

A better solution would be to only need to go over half the inset to select it, as suggested in http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9748