On 4 Dec 2015, at 23:11, Scott Kostyshak
<skost...@lyx.org<mailto:skost...@lyx.org>> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 06:36:31PM +0000, Paola Manzini wrote:
thanks Liviu, just updated the preferences. The mysterious “LyX could not
create temporary directory” etc error message remains, the workaround being to
exit LyX, re-launch it and open the file. At least with keeping the last
session I can now open many files :-)
Thank you,
paola

Hi Paola,

Thanks for your testing and feedback!

What do you have listed in Tools > Preferences > Paths under Temporary
directory?
Before changing anything, please backup whatever path you have there
because we would like to know what it is.

Do you still have the stable version of LyX installed? You do not see
the problem there correct? On that version of LyX what do you have
listed in Tools > Preferences > Paths under Temporary directory?

Finally, what is the output of the command "df -h /var" ?

Would you mind bottom-posting (replying below the quote of the previous
email)? Sorry for the bother but it helps keep emails organized.

Best,

Scott

Thanks Scott, and apologies for top posting!
The path for the temporary directory is:
/var/folders/_q/_lf49ll933z7xvnbfdtmn8100000gn/T
I ditched the stable version, so only have 2.2.0alpha2 now.
Finally, I am not sure whether this is what you wanted, but I used the command
in a Terminal window, which returned:

Filesystem   Size   Used  Avail Capacity  iused     ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/disk1  931Gi  360Gi  570Gi    39% 94431751 149513719   39%   /

Many thanks!
paola