On 06/05/2016 02:42 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2016 at 03:54:53PM +0200, jezZiFeR wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with using the same BibTeX-database on two different
>> computers (OS X 10.11), which I synchronize on my Dropbox. The problem is,
>> that both users of the different computers have different names.
>>
>> In the moment I have to change two things every time I change the computer:
>>
>> 1) I have to correct the paths in the BibTeX-bibliography
>> 2) I have to adapt the appropriate entry in the preamble
>> (\addbibresource{/Users/E/Dropbox/bibdesk/…)
>>
>> Is there a way to get a less complicated handling on two different
>> computers with th same BibTeX-database?
> Yes, if you add the .bib file somewhere in you LaTeX user dir and run
> texhash, then you can just find it in the list when you click on "Add"
> in the BibTeX dialog (i.e. no need to click on browse). No path name
> will be needed when you do this.
>
> I don't know much about this, but that is the correct way to do this
> anyway, I believe (even if one user).

There is a BIBINPUTS variable that TeX uses to find bib files. I believe
it is empty by default. I have:

    export BIBINPUTS="$HOME/bibtex/::"

in my .bash_profile. The ":" is a separator, and the empty one means:
search the current directory, too.

I have some memory that this isn't picked up properly on OSX, i.e., that
you have to set up the environment for LyX in some other way.

Richard