Thanks, again, Richard,

Although your suggestions didn't exactly work, they lead me to a slightly
burdensome approach that did work.  First, the Foot to End module does
exactly as the \let\footnote=\endnote line I had used in the preamble.  It
doesn't leave the footnotes' descriptions on each page but moves them to
the end.  (I'm trying to get them placed in both locations.)  Insert>
Custom Insets>Endnote does almost work when listing the footnote's contents
inside it and still inside a normal footnote, but then the superscript for
the footnote and for the endnote each are listed in the main text next to
eachother.

My ultimate solution was to manually create endnotes (beside each
footnote), with this ERT recipe:
\stepcounter{endnote}\endnotetext{Text of each endnote (same content as
each footnote)}

It removes the secondary endnote numbering from the main text body, while
still creating an endnote as Insert>Custom Insets>Endnote would have.

This is off-topic from the previous question, but I'm also hoping someone
can tell me how to set an index to display one column in the memoir class,
so that each entry spans completely within the the page's margins.  It
seems to be set to two by default.

Thanks,

  Lucas