Subject: Re: RCS Version Control on Windows
To: ahmad.abdul...@msn.com; lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
From: rgh...@lyx.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 13:42:16 -0400

    On 06/28/2016 10:35 AM, Ahmad Abdullah
      wrote:

        Hi all,
        This is my first email to this group. I
          generally find the
          online resources as well as LyX documentation very helpful.
          The only exception
          to this rule is when it comes to version control. It took me
          so much time to
          know how to install RCS on Windows. I basically followed the
          steps given in the
          LyX wiki on how to install RCS for a portable LyX
          installation. After I did
          that, I was able to do version control easily. I have
          identical installations
          at the PC at home and the one at work (work is windows 7 and
          home is windows
          10).
        Now my problem is actually that I use my
          OneDrive to save my
          LyX document. I use my OneDrive so I have access to the
          document both at work
          and at home. So here is a typical scenario I am facing: I am
          at work, saved the
          document on my OneDrive and then checked in all changes. After
          that I go back
          home, the problem arises. When I open the document I saved at
          work with the LyX
          installation at home, LyX at home doesn’t recognize the last
          check in that I
          committed at work and I still have to check in the last change
          (LyX at home
          says the document is not locked). So I try to check in the
          last change, and
          then LyX complains saying that “Some error happened while ci,
          can’t check in
          the document”. Basically what is happening I can’t check in
          any changes made at
          home to the same RCS repo (the MyDoc.lyx,v file) I
          created at work, i.e.,
          I have to save the document with a new name and start a new
          version control in
          it which means I will have to lose all history in the RCS
          repo; a bad idea obviously.

        My question is whether any one saw this
          before. What should
          I do so that I can check in to same RCS repo both at home and
          at work without
          the need to re-save the same document over and over again.

    This is a problem with RCS, not with LyX.

    If I were you, I'd set up a free git account somewhere, e.g.,
    gitlab, and use that. Then you don't need OneDrive or whatever. You
    can push your changes to yout git account from home, then pull them
    at work, and vice versa.

    Alternatively, if you really want to use OneDrive, then you should
    put the entire directory where your RCS repo lives on it.

    Richard

        Best Regards,

        Ahmad Abdullah