Hi All,

On 17/07/16 08:41, Charlie wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 19:48:28 +0000 (UTC) "Paul A.Rubin ru...@msu.edu"
informed me of this:

        > Charlie <ariestao1 <at> ipstarmail.com.au> writes:
With a full page picture, landscape the picture goes out past the
        right page, with the text landscape it actually pulls it
        into the portrait boundary?
I may be of only limited help here. I couldn't open the PDF file
        (Evince doesn't believe it's a PDF, and unfortunately I don't
        have Acrobat Reader on the machine I'm using). I could open
        the LyX file, but had to comment out the line loading the
        tgbonoum package (which I don't have). Hopefully that doesn't
        affect anything.

With that done, I could compile the test document (I used a couple of
different formats). It came out the way it was supposed to, but that
        may not be the way you intended. You specified a custom size
        of 17.78 cm height and 22.86 cm width. That defines a page
        that is wider than it is tall. You also picked landscape
        mode, which means the output should be 22.86 cm high and
        17.78 cm wide (taller than wide), which the output was.

If you're trying to get output that's wider than tall, then either
        specify a wide page size in portrait mode OR a narrow page
        size in landscape mode, but not both.

The text did not run off the page for me, but it ran right up to the
        edge of the page, consistent with your specifying zero
        margins on all sides.

Paul
Wow!

I just checked the document and it was 17.78 cm height and 22.86 cm
wide. Not the other way round.

But you reckon it was 22.86 cm hight and 17.78 wide which would be
portrait? That's weird.

Maybe others might quickly look at that document and inform me that
they see what you see as well. That would mean my system LyX is really
wrong and it may have to be purged and reinstalled?

I did specify landscape, but I suppose you saw that when you looked in
the Document->settings->Page format->orientation

Well there you go. I wouldn't use adobe acrobat reader fortunately. But
I might test it with that on a friends machine.

Thanks for your input.

Stay well,
Charlie

I was able to open the pdf file using evince 3.18.2, to me it was portrait orientation text wrapping at page boundaries. My version of lyx is too old to open the .lyx file, .. so opened it with a text editor and found.

\paperorientation landscape

\paperwidth 22.86cm
\paperheight 17.78cm

So Paul if I read your reply correctly you are suggesting in landscape mode the \paperwidth attribute defines how tall the page is and the \paperheight attribute indicates how wide the page is and the source of the problem?.

So if I may ask
   1)  \paperwidth & \paperheight define the page as the printer sees it?
2) and landscape and portrait defines to latex how to print the text on that page?

... curious

Steve