Just to clarify #2, when you say "compile" you mean File > Export
    (as opposed to View), correct? If you click the viewer button or use
    the View menu to generate a PDF, LyX automatically opens the PDF in
    the designated viewer program (intended behavior).

    Paul

          No, I'm sorry I should have been more clear what I meant. I'm
actually using "command-alternatives master-buffer-view pdf2; buffer-view
pdf2", which I have been using through a shortcut for a while (since LyX 2.1, I
believe).
I don't mind this when the pdf viewer opens for the first time, but currently
the window focus moves to the sumatrapdf whenever I press the shortcut to
update the document.I guess I should use update instead of view, but the
previous behavior (which I prefer, because I don't want to have separate
shortcuts for first time viewing and subsequent updating) was that the
documents gets updated without lyx losing its window focus, even if I use view.
Thank you!Joon