I have OS X 10.11.6 and LyX 2.2.1 with (1) Look & Feel / Display / Display
graphics checked, and (2) Look & Feel / Display / Instant preview set to β€œOn”.

If I open Help / Specific Manuals / LilyPond, then after a short delay the
various LilyPond insets β€” these are inside Preview insets, such as in section
2.3 on Previews β€” display themselves in the LyX window as blank regions,
whereas I would have expected fragments of musical score to appear. However,
when I view the corresponding PDF the music is displayed correctly, but it
would be really nice for the Preview insets to work as expected in the LyX
window.

In case it is relevant, preview of mathematical formulae in my LyX window works
correctly.

Stephen Luttrell