On 01/26/2017 01:42 AM, William Hanson wrote:
> Chris,
> I'm using Windows and LyX 2.0.5.1.  Since I've been unable to make LyX
> 2.2.2.2 work (more about that later), and since all I needed to do to
> complete my document was add three references, I tried to make 2.0.5.1
> do that for me.
>
> However, since I first wrote the situation has changed somewhat.  (I
> suppose that's due to the messing around I've been doing.)
>
> I do indeed have a BibTeX Generated Bibliography box at the end of my
> document.   And when I click on it the window that opens contains a
> link to the .bib file I created with Mendeley.  This sounds promising,
> but now when I try to insert a reference into the document (by
> choosing Citation) the box that pops up is empty.

The most likely problem here is an encoding issue. I expect there is
some Unicode character in the Mendeley-generated bibfile that LyX is
choking on. My suggestion would to try bisecting the file to find the
offending character. First, make a backup of it in case something goes
wrong. Then open the file in Notepad or something and delete the last
half of it. Now see if it works in LyX. If so, the problem is in the
last half, so delete half of that, etc. If it doesn't work, delete more
of it, until you get something that does work.

Alternatively, if you want to send me the bib file (use this email), I
can look at it and see what the problem might be. Feel free to send me
the LyX file that isn't working, too. It may again be some kind of
encoding issue.

Richard