Thanks Steve! I have learned a lot from your suggestions!

Yes, I generate PDF in order to proofread. Also, I have used child documents to
organize the book, previewing the child document is acceptable, mostly less
than 10 seconds I think.

Writing  a shell to generate the PDF of the whole book is a good idea! here is
my 2 cents of the shell script:
#!/bin/sh
lyx --export pdf4 mybook.lyx

Finally, Lyx is really a great tool!  I think it is impossible to finished the
book without LyX within 4 months. Thanks to LyX teams!