On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 09:30:45AM +1000, Charlie wrote:

> Yes, Sorry. should have been clearer. I go into webmail of my Internet
> Service Provider and the .pdf created by LyX has the WARNING [below]
> message before opening.

Ah I see what you mean now.

> Look; it's really just a thing that I thought was a bit weird and
> imagined that someone else had this problem with a .pdf constructed by
> a LyX converter?

I agree it's weird. The following

    $ file sample.pdf
    sample.pdf: PDF document, version 1.5
    $ mimetype sample.pdf
    sample.pdf: application/pdf

makes me think that the file is correct and that the webmail from your
ISP is having trouble with the identification.

Indeed, I've read that determining the type of file from the file itself
can be tricky. See also:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_number_(programming)

Scott