On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 04:51:25PM -0400, Cris Fuhrman wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I'm attaching my "anonymized" prefs file.
>
> Did you ever consider using Google Analytics to track LyX usage? Of course,
> it's ethical (and probably required in the TOS of GA) that you have it
> deactivated by default and that you request permission from users to turn
> it on. I played around with it before on a plug-in I made for Word and it
> gives you live data. There might be other ways to track usage that don't
> have to go through Google. See
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4338557/track-c-application-with-google-analytics
> for a starting point.

Thanks for this idea, Cris. Would this be only to see how many people
are using LyX or for something in addition to that? Every time I think
about something like that, I challenge myself and ask: "Why do I want to
know how many people use LyX?" and my answer is always just that I would
be curious. Since I don't think it would lead to any improvement in LyX,
my train of thought stops there.

In any case, let's pleas not discuss this further on this thread. If you
want to start a new thread with the focus of Google Analytics (or
other), I'd be interested in following it.

Thanks,

Scott