On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 06:13:20PM +0000, Rajat Pal wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> Thank you for your email. I don't know if I described the problem
> efficiently but here are two screenshots that can explain what I am
> encountering.
>
> Screenshot1 : trying to open a file from a directory which has an existing
> .lyx file but the Lyx file explorer if showing nothing there
>
> ​
> Screenshot2: If I type the filename, it shows that there are files but the
> explorer is still blank.
> This is happening also when adding graphics, etc. each time, when I want to
> add any graphics or anything using the Lyx file explorer.
>

> ​ Please let me know if you guys have encountered this thing before . I am
> using ubuntu 14.04 and I have seen this in both versions of Lyx, Lyx 2.0.8
> and Lyx 2.2.3.

Thanks for the screenshots, Rahat. That does help. I have never heard of
this before.

If you put the file name in manually (that is, you just type it in even
though you cannot select it), does it work then? I'm not saying that's
an acceptable workaround, I'm just trying to get more details to figure
out what is going on.

If you click on the "Examples" button in the upper-right, does anything
show up there?

Can you reproduce the problem on a shorter path (e.g.
~/Desktop/)?

Do folders show up or even those are missing?

If you can give us commands that we could run on a fresh Ubuntu
installation (e.g. on a Virtual Box) that will reproduce the problem,
then we can look into it further. I wonder if there is some package that
you install that conflicts for some reason.

Best,

Scott