On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

If the glitch is in a BibTeX reference, ...

Paul,

  I found the reported warnings, but still get the same compile error from
lyx. Here's an update:

  Running pdflatex on the *.tex file was followed by running bibtex on the
*.aux file. It showed 4 warnings of a missing journal name. This puzzled me
as I know I enter journal names so I looked at the four entries in JabRef,
found and corrected the problem: for reasons unknown to me JabRef added a
data entry field called "journaltitle" immediately below the field
"journel." No explanation of the difference between the two; I cannot
imagine there would be any difference. Anyway, those 4 rows had the journal
names in the "journaltitle" field, so I moved them to the "journal" field
instead. Now bibtex is happy: no warnings, or errors.

  But, when I run dvips on the .dvi file and look at the postscript output
with gv there are no references at the end of the document. Running ps2pdf
on the .ps file produces a .pdf file also with no references.

  And trying to compile the .lyx file with pdflatex within lyx shows the
same error as before.

  I'm using the plainnat style with NatBib author-year citation style. What
recently broke is still broken.

Rich