On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 03:30:13 -0800
Mc Kiernan Daniel Kian <mc_kier...@oeconomist.com> wrote:

> >> I've an article, prepared in LyX, whose citations and bibliography
> >> I need to have rendered in Chicago style.  (Indeed, If I can get
> >> the sections titles &c to conform automatically to Chicago-journal
> >> style, that would be great.)
> >>
> >> I'd like to avoid a process of tweaking a .tex file.
> >>
> >> When I try to handl things by way of the preamble, LyX yowls about
> >> conflicting specifications.  If I have to do everything through the
> >> preamble or by tweaking a .tex file, then I'd like to know how to
> >> disable the build-in Bibliography processing.
> >>

> On 02/14/2018 03:11 AM, Dr Eberhard Lisse wrote:
> >
> > As a general rule,
> >
> > provide a Minimal Working Example, ie the shortest LyX file with the
> > shortest BIB file that demonstrates the issue.
> >
> > greetings, el
> >
> > On 14/02/2018 02:13, Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan wrote:

> That is a signally absurd response.
>
> A minimal example would be an empty LyX document.  I could show you a
> screen-shot of an empty preamble, but you presumably know how that
> looks.  Likewise for the Bibliography dialog.
>
> I could go a bit further, and post a bibtex file, and a LyX document
> with a cite element and bibligraphy element, and ask “What do I do to
> get LyX to render that cite element and the bibliogrpahy in Chicago
> style?”  But, again, you presumably know how bibtex files, cite
> elements, and bibliography elements look.
>
> So far, I've seen you post one willfully passive-aggressive response
> to one person, and then this foolish response to me.  This list
> begins to look to be a source of abuse, rather than constructive
> response.

I've rearranged the thread as bottom posted, so when somebody says
"this" is absurd, we all know what "this" refers to, and when someone
recommends a minimum working example, we all know what situation a MWE
is supposed to improve. If we're going to criticize communication
styles, let's go for clarity ourselves.

Anyway, regardless of Eberhard Lisse's tone, the Minimum Working
Example (MWE) is one of your most powerful tools for diagnosing LyX
problems. Remember, he said " ie the shortest LyX file with the
shortest BIB file that ***demonstrates the issue***." (emphasis mine).

If the issue occurs on a blank document, start removing stuff from the
document properties. At some point you're going to be able to toggle
the problem on and off. Then, keep removing more stuff until the only
stuff left is stuff that will toggle the problem. This is a true MWE.

Once you have your true MWE, either the cause will be obvious to you
and you'll fix it, or you can submit it and it will be obvious to your
fellow listmates, or the LyX developers will tell you "whoops, that's a
bug, let us fix that, and thank you so much for narrowing it down for
us."

The way I make MWEs is I keep dividing the remaining root cause
scope of the document in half and seeing whether the symptom is still
there, and continue until all that's left is maybe a sentence plus what
is necessary to produce the symptom. Likewise, I keep simplifying the
document preamble/properties until there's nothing there that won't
flip the symptom  if I remove/change it.

A year ago I has a problem in which I couldn't produce my books on my
new Void Linux computer if I used Century Schoolbook type, which is a
must. Even a Minimal Working Example would fail if I used Century
Schoolbook. So for LyX had I had to use a Ubuntu virtual machine guest:
Inconvenient!

Then one day a fellow author let me read his LyX produced book, which
obviously had Century Schoolbook type. I made an MWE of his, and MWE of
mine, compared, and the difference was obvious: He was using the TeX
Gyre Schola variant

SteveT