I think the (instant) preview function (Insert > Preview) is really nice. In particular for the readability of references in a text. However, I noticed that I rarely use it. I think this has to do with the fact that LyX does not automatically update those when their content changes.

And I see why to have this done automatically is a bit tricky. I guess LyX would have to compare the current preview with a newly created preview when the document changes which in turn takes too much resources?

However, the next best thing would probably be a function to update all previews, maybe Document > Update > Instant Previews or so? There is no such thing if I see it correctly.

Daniel